The ALFA Product Liability Practice Group (the “Group”) is one of the most active of the ALFA International Practice Groups. Membership in this Group includes 175 lawyers from 80 member firms. This network of product liability lawyers is well-suited for clients whose products are distributed and used nationwide or worldwide. ALFA PRODUCT LIABILITY PRACTICE GROUP BROCHURE
Lawyers within this Group represent virtually every entity in the distribution chain, such as manufacturers, distributors, wholesalers, and retailers. Representation most frequently relates to product liability litigation or mediation. However, ALFA International lawyers often provide general counseling, regulatory guidance, and trade association assistance to product manufacturers and distributors. The ALFA International network allows our product liability lawyers throughout the United States and the World to coordinate their representation for a manufacturer’s products. ALFA International product liability lawyers throughout the network have substantial experience in the following general areas:
product recalls and hearings
trade association membership
general business counseling
There are currently three committees within the Product Liability Practice Group:
(1) Publications Committee: This Committee publishes four newsletters a year that contain articles of interest pertaining to current legal topics as well as an update of significant product liability cases from across the country. The editors are Colleen Murnane of Frantz Ward LLP (firstname.lastname@example.org), Jack Ables of Daniel Coker Horton & Bell, P.A. (email@example.com) and Stan Shuler of Leake & Andersson, L.L.P. (firstname.lastname@example.org).
(2) Teleseminar Committee: This Committee is charged with presenting 90 minute tele-seminars on recent developments or issues affecting product liability. The Chairman of this subcommittee is William Yoquinto of Carter, Conboy, Case, Blackmore, Maloney & Laird, P.C. (email@example.com).
(3) Trade Association Committee: This Committee works with various trade associations to see how ALFA International attorneys can help educate trade association members on legal and business issues that are affecting their industry. The Chairman of this Committee is Joe Swift at Brown & James, P.C. (firstname.lastname@example.org).
This large Practice Group undertakes a wide range of activities. A speakers bureau supplies other organizations with experienced ALFA International lawyers to staff their own seminars. Programs covering significant product liability issues were developed for the following organizations:
- National Electrical & Manufacturers Association (NEMA)
- Conveyor Equipment Manufacturers Association (CEMA)
- Converting & Packaging Printing Expo (CPP)
- Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM)
- Packaging Machinery Manufacturers Institute (PMMI)
The lawyers within the Group also maintain databases of experts and product research that may be accessed by member firms around the country. Group lawyers maintain memberships or working relationships with many trade associations or professional organizations relating to product liability, including the ABA Product Liability Section, the Defense Research institute (DRI), and the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (FDCC).
The Group hosted a Product Liability Seminar in Nashville, Tennessee, September 21-23, 2011. The Practice Group is also participating in the 2013 International Client Seminar - March 7-10, 2013 at the La Quinta Resort in Palm Springs, California. For more information on this event please click on the link below. Future seminar dates and locations are currently being discussed.